Baraga County Shelter Home’s mission is to develop, support, and promote efforts at the elimination of all domestic violence, sexual violence, and stalking in Baraga County.
Due to the growing problem of Domestic Violence in Baraga County and plight of victims, a core group of volunteers first met on March 1, 1983. Because we believe there is a need to provide immediate local services to abused women and their children and to promote awareness in Baraga County, the Baraga County Shelter Home, Inc. was formed.
Since that time, we have purchased our shelter through private donations, group contributions and various fundraising projects. Most importantly, we have provided resident and non-resident services to many abuse victims and children in Baraga County.
- 1983-grass roots domestic abuse alliance formed
- 1984-Baraga County Shelter Home was established and a “Base of Operations” home was rented.
- 1985-A three bedroom house was purchased. It was equipped with 100% donations.
- 1988-Grant funding began.
- 1991-A full time director and counselor were hired.
- Currently Funded by several grants; primarily federal grants passed through the state. (MDHHS-MDVPTB-STOP-VOCA-Federal Emergency Management Act & Rural Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence & Stalking Grant)